Friday, March 21, 2008

I'm a travelling man

I'm blogging to you from the middle seat of a minivan trekking through the rolling hills and towering pine trees of East Texas. I love seeing the country from this vantage point. I'd rather be driving, but then I would not be able to blog, not to mention I would be driving my in-laws minivan with them in it which would be a little awkward. Anyway, I'm going to make the best of the situation and blog away.

I love Texas. No offense to anyone reading this who is not from Texas or does not have the distinct privilege of living here, but we have the best state in the union! I love to travel in and out of our great state, but when I leave the friendly confines (to steal a line from a Shaun Groves song) "there is something in me that always misses Texas". It's a unique and wonderful state and I hope I never live anywhere else. For those not keeping track, I am on my 5th city in Texas. I have lived in: Beaumont, TX (born here, the city is pretty ugly), Dallas (grew up here, home to my favorite sports teams outside of the Astros), College Station (discovered myself and my wife here, will always feel like home for this proud former student), Houston (learned what love was here, some of the nicest people in the nation live here and this is where Amy and I first lived together and had our first child), and San Antonio (current residence, prettiest big city in Texas, needs an MLB baseball team). As you can see, I love every place I have ever lived in Texas.

Speaking of moving, my little sister (yes, no matter how old, pregnant, whatever she is, she is still my little sis) and her husband Nate are proud owners of a contract on a house out in lovely Katy, TX as of Thursday. I love to make big purchases, and I really enjoy people I know making big purchases as well (I'm going to call this VP - Vicariously Purchasing from now on). Anyway, congrats ya'll! Amy and I pray it will be a blessing to you for many years to come.

It is strange for me to see Abby all grown up and doing grown up type things. I was thinking this morning about why this is the case and came up with something. Bear in mind that this was thought up at 5:30 AM after pulling in about 4.5 hours of sleep, but here goes. I moved out of my parents house in the fall of 1999 to attend (when I could get up early enough for class) Texas A&M University. When I moved out, Abby was 16 years old and (sorry Abby) not very mature. I'm not saying that I was more mature than Abby, but that is beside the point anyway. The point is that the last time I lived with Abby full-time she was not all that mature. Since then she has obviously made amazing strides (I am very proud of her). The problem is I have only been around part-time to witness it. So to me, there is still part of me that thinks of Abby the way I knew her for the majority of my life. I assume this will change at some point (after all we do not argue over who gets shot-gun that much anymore). If she keeps on doing all these big-girl things, she may force my hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always freeze people in the era in which I knew them well, but as to my kids...seeing either of you doing grown up things is a little weird for a while. However, I have been spared the "pregnancy" weirdness in your family by Amy graciously agreeing to carry any and all babies. She's the best!

Abby said...

Haha, well thanks!! Sometimes I have a hard time thinking about you without seeing you in the light of your 18 yr old self (even though I saw you a lot in college).... the second kid has helped dispell this finally :) I do think I need to stand up for myself a little bit and say, if I was immature it was due to age.... I've always been mature for my age :P

p.s.- I love Texas too... maybe a bit too much. Oh, and if you leave Texas then I will throttle you :)