Thursday, March 13, 2008

Here goes something (hopefully)


I've always resisted starting a blog.  I think this is mainly because I try to avoid starting things I know I won't finish.   I finally decided to go for it earlier today, and blogspot was down!   Blogspot is run by Google.   What are the odds something run by Google is going to be down?   I probably should have taken that as a sign, but for some reason I refreshed over and over until blogspot came back online.

I'll go ahead and jump right in...   

I am a VERY particular parker.   I have a spot at work that I always park in.   I discovered this spot early in my tenure at my current company.   It has a concrete staircase on one side of it.   This may sound inconsequential to somebody who does not pay much attention to where they park, but to me it means I can park within 1 inch of the wall, leaving 3 feet on the other side of the space.   This effectively ensures that some brain dead person does not ding my $10,000 used car (thus reducing it's value $1).   I struggled to consistently obtain this space early on.   Jerks (who obviously hated me) would take it if I was not there in time.   This drove me crazy, because they didn't even use the spot effectively (i.e. they parked in the middle of the spot rather than snuggling up to the staircase).   So I began showing up for work earlier to ensure I got my spot.   This is the sole reason I get up for work when I do.   I love backing into my spot in one swoop at 7:30 and then watching people in their Impalas take 5 stabs to get into a spot head first!   

To kind of quote George Costanza: This story has not been embellished, nor does it need any embellishment, it is simply and horrifyingly the tale of the kinds of things that go thru my mind every time I park my car.

On a completely side note.   My daughter fills me up with more love than I can bear on a regular basis.   This picture is from this past weekend.   I love it!
 

5 comments:

Abby said...

Yay! Welcome! And note my entry today pertaining to my feelings about your parking weirdness :P

Unknown said...

About the parking thing: so glad you still do stuff like that, even after 10 years!

I can actually see you getting mad when someone is in "your" spot:

You're waiting at the nearest stop light to your office, wondering "why the crap is this light taking so long this morning", all while impatiently banging the steering wheel and looking over at the opposite stop light so that you can get a jump on your green light and save yourself 1.7 seconds. THEN... you take the turn into the company lot and eagerly peak over the horizon (all while holding your breath) in hopes of seeing an empty promised land, a land of gray outlined by two stripes of pasty-white goodness. You can't relax yet, though... you first take a quick scan of "the terrain" to ensure no pesky co-workers are lurking, waiting to pounce on your land of milk and honey. Mightily, you pull into YOUR spot, put it into park, and sit back in your CAPTAINS CHAIR to let out a hearty sigh of satisfaction:

"I came. I saw. I conquered."

God bless you, Benjamin. :)

Too, your little girl is adorable. Hope all is well and I look forward to reading up on your blog!

FG said...

Ben...

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben... (say it rhythmically while shaking your head in exasperation)...

This story is such a window to your soul! I loved Jason's comment... he obviously knows you well!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Well, I never would have guessed or believed that you would engage in this sort of twisted behavior to keep scrapes off a car that will only be sold in a few years any way. Next thing you'll be telling us that you iron your tee shirts.

I was tracking with Jason right up to the point where he "put it into park". What's that about?

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)