Thursday, April 3, 2008

Me & Baseball


I love baseball, but as recently as 5 years ago I would have told you I could care less about baseball. I fell in love with baseball when my parents moved to Houston and I started going to Astros games with some regularity. I'm not sure what it is that I love about it so much, but I think a big part of it is the slow tempo. It leaves me time to think about other things on my mind while still catching all the action. I do not have cable so I don't get to watch much baseball, but I listen to it on AM radio almost every night. I like listening to baseball on the radio; whenever I do, I can't help but think that there was probably some guy 50 years ago listening to a similar game doing the same thing I am doing at that very moment. Probably straining to hear the radio (as I often have to).

Some of you may know this already, but for those that don't, I'm going on a baseball trip at the end of this month. I'm uber-excited about it. The main point of the trip is hitting up as many baseball stadiums in as short a span of time as possible for as little money as possible. Currently the count is 7 games in 7 stadiums over a 7 day period for about $850. The destinations: St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago (Cubs and W. Sox), Boston, New York (Yankees only), and Philadelphia. I am going with one of my college roommates (Robert Stevener for those of you who know him). The trip involves traveling by bus, train, car, and airplane, as well as sleeping in hotels, cars, friend's houses, and buses. Questions? Comments? Words of amazement?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I wish I was goint too! Seriously, Minute Maid is a great place to catch a game (much better than that park in Arlington) and I'm glad your mom and I were part of instilling this appreciation in you.

Gardiner Family said...

Dude I wish I were going. Especially since this is the last year for Ruth's house and Wrigley doesnt have much time left either. Definitely some cool places. Busch also would be cool, I am in awe that is all I have to say ... well other than what I have already said.

Abby said...

I've had time to adjust to this idea, so all I really have to say is this~

~As mom would say (usually about me, but we'll switch it up :) "Nobody is more Ben than Ben"

~I'm just happy for you that you have a friend that wants to do this with you... ya'll will have a blast!

~Oh, and I'm jealous about all the parks you get to go to :P

erin said...

Go Yanks! Love the blog, Ben!